Many people visiting Peru rush through Lima on their way to Machu Picchu and the Inca Trail. Lima is worth a visit, though, and here is a list of the top 10 things to do in Lima:
1. Visit the Gold Museum, or Museo de Oro, in Lima.
2. Go to the Miraflores area to wander through Kennedy Park and Love Park, and go shopping at Larcomar and Jockey Plaza. Speaking of shopping, don’t miss the boutiques of the San Isidro district. Conquistadores street is particularly good, and there are great restaurants there as well.
3. Visit the Barranco district to see the Puente de los Suspiros bridge and walk through the Municipal Park.
4. Visit the attractions in the Lima city center. Don’t miss the Plaza San Martin, Lima Cathedral, Santo Domingo Church, La Merced Church, the Church of Saint Francis with its great catacombs and museum, the Congress building, San Marcos House, Riva Aguero House, Torre Tagle Palace, and Casa Aliaga.
5. Get a Piscosour at the historic Bolivar Hotel.
6. Watch the illuminated water fountain show at Circuito magico del agua from Wednesday through Sunday evenings.
7. Explore the Callao district with its 17th century fortress, the Fotaleza del Real Felipe.
8. Get up early to take a tour of the San Lorenzo, Fronton, Cavinzas and Palomino Islands.
9. Take a day trip to the Pachacamac Santuary on the Pan-South American Highway.
10. Navigate the newly discovered ruins of Caral, the oldest city in the Americas. It’s just a few hours’ drive from Lima and only recently opened for visits.
If you don’t want to walk all over the city, you can take a city sightseeing bus in Lima. Mirabus Peru and City Sightseeing both offer hop on, hop off bus tours of Lima.